This recipe is great for when you have too many feijoas and you want to preserve them for use all year round (but in all honesty no-one really expects them to last that long).
This recipe was found at New Zealand Cuisine.
VANILLA FEIJOA COMPOTE
- 35-40 feijoas
- 3 cups caster sugar
- 750ml water
- 1 vanilla pod split in half lengthwise
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- 1 large piece of dried orange peel (optional)
- Place all the ingredients except the feijoas in a large pot and bring to the boil.
- With a sharp knife remove the skin of the feijoas. Place them into the sugar syrup and allow the mixture to come to the boil again.
- Remove from the heat.
- The fruit can then be bottled in jars that have been sterilised in the oven for at least 30 minutes at 120°C (don’t forget the lids). Conversely, the fruit can be stored in the refrigerator (after allowing them to cool first) and they last weeks.