Here’s another great recipe from the New Zealand Listener. It’s described as “a savoury, aromatic chutney to serve with cheddar or cold meats”. Definitely on my ever-increasing list of new recipes to try next feijoa season.
FEIJOA & GINGER CHUTNEY
Makes 3-4 medium jars
- 2 large cups feijoas, peeled and chopped
- 2 apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- ½ cup seedless raisins
- 500ml cider vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup soft brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp salt
- 50g crystallised ginger, sliced
A savoury, aromatic chutney to serve with cheddar or cold meats.
- Put the prepared feijoas, apples, onion and raisins with the vinegar and water in a large preserving pan.
- Bring to a gentle boil, then simmer for 10 minutes. Add the sugar, spices and salt, stirring well as the sugar dissolves.
- Reduce the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes until the chutney is bubbling and thick. Add the crystallised ginger. Simmer a minute further.
- Have sterilised jars ready, then ladle the hot chutney into the jars and cover immediately.
- Leave for at least 2 weeks for the flavours to mature. Store in a dark dry place.