This recipe is credited to the New Zealand Feijoa Growers Association but comes from the Nelson Mail website on Stuff.co.nz. The article is called “the little green taste grenade” and captures the effect that feijoa’s unmistakable aroma and flavour have when they snaffle your senses.
FEIJOAS IN RED WINE WITH A HINT OF STAR ANISE
- 8 feijoas
- piece of lemon rind
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 star anise
- 1 tablespoon cornflour
- ½ cup red wine
- 1 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoons flaked almonds
- Wash and peel feijoas and leave whole.
- In the saucepan put the first measure of water, sugar, red wine, lemon rind and star anise. Heat gently until sugar is dissolved, stirring occasionally.
- Add feijoas and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 15 minutes. Take care not to overcook.
- Arrange fruit in a serving bowl.
- Strain the juice. Mix cornflour with water to form a smooth paste. Pour into the feijoa juice.
- Return to the heat, stirring continuously until sauce thickens. Cook 1-2 minutes.
- Serve with the fruit, sprinkled with almonds. Serve warm.