The weather has turned so cold here that a curry would go down very well. This comes from the forums of Jamie Oliver’s website.
FEIJOA & CHICKEN CURRY
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 chicken drumsticks, skin off
- 4 large mushrooms, quartered
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 2 onions, diced
- 1 garlic clove, crushed & chopped
- 5 feijoas, peeled & sliced
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch/cornflour
- 500ml chicken broth or stock (made or bought)
- Scour into the flesh of the chicken leg on both sides (until it looks like you have a tic tac toe pattern).
- Heat up a large pan with the oil and sear both sides of the legs until you get a nice light brown colour.
- Set aside the chicken in a bowl. Add a bit more oil and throw in the mushrooms, bell pepper, onion and garlic. Saute for 5 minutes.
- With the vegetables put in the feijoa, curry, allspice & pepper. Stir up until combined then sit the chicken legs in the middle of the pan.
- Finally combine the chicken stock and cornflour in a bowl, then pour into the pan. Boil for 5 minutes. Turn the chicken legs over. Let it simmer for about half an hour.
- Cooking time will depend on your pan/stove. The scouring of the chicken allows you to see right to the bone without having to pull the chicken apart to check it’s cooked.
- Serve with rice.