I’m intrigued by the inclusion of the kaffir lime leaves and good old fashioned curry powder. The recipe comes from the archives of the New Zealand Herald website, a great showcase for the unique flavours of Aotearoa and a treasure trove for many wonderful feijoa recipes.
HARVEST FEIJOA CHUTNEY
- 1.5kg feijoas, peeled and chopped
- 1kg onions, peeled and finely diced
- ½ cup crystallised ginger, diced
- 2 cups currants
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, julienned
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 litre cider vinegar
- In a large pan combine all ingredients, stir to the boil.
- On the lowest heat, simmer until thick.
- Pour into sterilised jars and seal once cool.