I don’t believe I’ve ever had a gem – we’ve certainly never had gem irons to hand – but the coconut and feijoa combination certainly has my tastebuds tantalised. The recipe comes from the New Zealand Herald.
FEIJOA COCONUT GEMS
- 60g butter, plus 25g extra
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 ½ tablespoons golden syrup
- ½ cup chopped feijoa
- ¾ cup plain flour
- ¼ cup coconut
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ cup warm coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 200ºC. Put the gem irons in the oven.
- Beat the first measure of butter with the sugar until pale. Beat in the egg and then the golden syrup. Fold in the feijoas.
- Sift the flour into the mixture and fold in with the coconut.
- Stir the baking soda into the warm coconut milk then quickly stir into the mixture.
- Divide the second measure of butter into 12. Remove the gem iron from the oven and drop in the pieces of butter, then spoon in the mixture. Bake for 10 minutes or until well risen and golden.