The New Zealand Herald website has some wonderful feijoa recipes hidden away in its archives. This one by Amanda Laird is from May 2007 and matches feijoa and sweet honey with a crunchy topping of sugar and almonds.
HONEY FEIJOA CAKE WITH VANILLA SUGAR AND ALMONDS
Makes one 22cm cake
- 80g softened butter
- 3/4 cup honey
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup mashed feijoas
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teasoon baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup vanilla sugar
- 1/2 cup toasted almonds, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 180C and grease the cake tin. Cream the butter and honey until pale. Add eggs one at a time, beating after each. Beat in vanilla.
- Fold the feijoas into the mixture. Sieve the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Fold through the milk. Combine the vanilla sugar and almonds.
- Spoon the cake mix into the tin, bake for 15 minutes then sprinkle the sugar and almond mix over the top of the cake. Return the cake to the oven and continue cooking for another 20-25 minutes or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.