This recipe comes from an inspirational site called Oooby – Out of our own back yards. It’s an Auckland-based community of backyard and local growers, and chock full of practical advice for growing and cooking your own food. The forums include a section on seasonal recipes, including a few feijoa favourites.
- 2kg feijoas, peeled and cut into chunks
- 600g sultanas
- 1kg pitted dates
- 1kg onions, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1kg brown sugar
- 50g ground ginger
- 50g curry powder
- 50g fresh red chillies, deseeded and finely chopped
- 20g salt
- 500ml water
- Put all of the ingredients into a huge pot, mix, then bring slowly to the boil.
- Simmer for 2 hours, then spoon into hot sterilised jars and seal according to your preferred method.