Astar is a host for Television New Zealand, who covers craft and foodie segments on the Good Morning show. Deep in the archives, I found a feijoa segment dating from 2008 which included this unusual recipe for a spicy Indian-style relish that features feijoas as the key ingredient.
FEIJOA & PRUNE INDIAN RELISH
- 1kg feijoas – remove flower stalk and chop
- 2 granny smith apples – chopped, leave skins on
- 1 packet pitted prunes
- ½ packet currants
- ½ packet sugared ginger – finely chopped
- 2 red onions – chopped
- couple chopped garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds
- 1 tablespoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 kg sugar
- 2 tablespoon molasses
- 2 ½ cups malt vinegar
- 1 teaspoon each cayenne pepper, all spice, mixed spice
- ½ teaspoon five-spice
- Bring all ingredients to the boil and simmer away about 1 hour.
- Cool then add 1 teaspoon citric acid.
- Store in clean screwtop jars.