Sally Anne Wise is a popular Tasmanian cook with a growing catalogue of cookbooks which includes A Year In a Bottle and Slow Cooker. She has a website and a blog of gorgeous recipes and hidden away in there are several feijoa treats. Just use the search box to enter feijoa – and you’ll discover recipes for feijoa jelly, feijoa dessert cake, feijoa jam and this chutney.
- 1.5kg feijoa flesh, diced
- 375g onions, peeled and finely diced
- 500ml white vinegar
- 750g white sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cornflour, mixed to a paste with 1 ½ tablespoons extra white vinegar, optional
- Place all ingredients in a large saucepan (approximately 4 litre capacity). Bring to the boil, stirring, then reduce heat to medium low and cook for 1½ hours or until a chutney-like consistency is reached. If you think the chutney needs thickening just a little, stir in some or all of the cornflour/vinegar paste.
- Pour into warm sterilised bottles and seal immediately.