I found this recipe on Facebook but it originates from the Viva section of the New Zealand Herald. After a lengthy browse through the recipe archives online, I can finally admit that Amanda Laird is rapidly becoming my favourite feijoa chef – her recipes are so fresh sounding and she makes such exquisite flavour pairings. I simply cannot wait to try this jam.
Makes approximately 3 x 350 jars
- 1 kg feijoas (best if a little firm because the pectin level will be higher)
- 4 cups sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 x 3cm piece of fresh ginger
- 1/4 cup water
- juice of 1 lemon
- Peel and slice feijoas. Put into saucepan or preserving pan with the sugar.
- Slit the vanilla pod and scrape the seeds into the pan, add the pod.
- Peel and finely chip ginger and add with the water and lemon. Bring to a simmer and cook until the fruit is soft, then increase the temperature and boil for 10 minutes. Remove the vanilla pod, then pour into sterilised jars and seal.