This is recipe #5363 at Best Recipes. My guess is that it is preferable to make the passionfruit butter in advance so that it has cooled and is readily accessible for scoffing – because they just sound like a divine morning tea combo, feijoa and passionfruit.
FEIJOA MUFFINS WITH PASSIONFRUIT BUTTER
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- ½ cup milk
- 100 g butter, melted
- 3-4 feijoas, peeled and diced
- ¼ cup long thread coconut
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 50 g butter, chopped
- ½ cup passionfruit pulp
- Pre heat oven to 200°C. Lightly butter 10 muffins pans, or place in muffin paper cases.
- Place sugar, sifted flour and baking powder in a bowl. Combine the egg, milk and melted butter.
- Add liquid ingredients and diced feijoas to dry ingredients and combine quickly until just moistened.
- Spoon into muffin pans. Sprinkle with some coconut.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until cooked.
- Strain the beaten eggs through a sieve.
- Combine in a microwave proof bowl with all other ingredients.
- Cook for about 1½ minutes, stir and then continue cooking for another 1-2 minutes until thickened.
- Alternately, cook over boiling water, stirring until thick.
- Pour into hot sterilised jars and seal.