There are so many wonderful online food communities these days and buried deep in a number of them are threads devoted entirely to feijoas. All it takes is a clever search and you can stumble across heavenly concoctions such as this Italian-infused dessert of savoiardi, mascarpone, limoncello and feijoa, found at Everybody Communities NZ. The entry credits this to Ray McVinnie, MasterChef NZ judge, Cuisine magazine Food Editor and writer of a weekly food column for the Sunday Star Times, Sunday magazine.
ITALIANATE BAKED FEIJOAS
- 10 savoiardi (sponge finger biscuits)
- 16 large ripe feijoas, halved, flesh scooped out with a teaspoon
- 200g mascarpone
- 100ml limoncello, white wine or port
- zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 200°C. Place the savoiardi in the bottom of a 25cm x 15cm or similar ovenproof dish then evenly space the feijoa halves on top. Pour over the limoncello or wine.
- Place tablespoons of mascarpone in between the feijoa halves. Sprinkle the lemon juice and zest on top and then scatter the sugar over evenly.
- Place in the oven for 20 minutes or until everything is bubbling. Remove from the oven and serve with liquid cream if desired.
- Serves 4-6.