I only ever recall slathering lemon curd over toast etc as a child and I imagine that I would love a feijoa-flavoured spread of this kind just as much. This recipe comes from Group Recipes, another of those wonderful online communities where home cooks passionately share secrets of the kitchen and the table.
- 500g feijoas
- 2 eggs and 3 egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar
- 4oz/113g unsalted butter
- Scoop out the flesh of the feijoas and blitz until smooth.
- Into a bowl and using a spatula, push the smooth feijoa flesh through a sieve. Remember to scrape the feijoa on the underside of the sieve into the bowl.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, yolks, and sugar.
- Over a low heat, melt the butter in a medium-sized saucepan. If you are increasing the quantity, you may want to use a wider pan in order to speed up the setting of the curd.
- Stir in the feijoa and the egg and sugar mixture.
- Whisk constantly over a low heat until it has come together and has thickened, almost like custard. This took me approximately 15 minutes. Do not stop whisking as you do not want to cook the eggs.
- Pour the curd into a bowl and cover once cooled. It can then be refrigerated or used immediately.