A while back I posted a recipe for roasted feijoa chutney that Alexa Johnston had adapted from Peter Gordon’s original recipe.
Well, here is the original recipe. If you can’t get a sprig of manuka then consider substituting rosemary.
ROASTED FEIJOA CHUTNEY – PETER GORDON
- 3 kg peeled feijoas, roughly chopped
- 1 kg peeled red onions, finely sliced
- 8 large green chilies,stems removed, cut into fine strips
- 2 kg caster sugar
- 2 large dessert spoons sea salt
- 330mls cider vinegar
- 5 large sweet lemons -the juice and the zest cut into fine strips
- 1 10cm piece of manuka branch, with leaves, washed
- 1 cinnamon quill, broken up roughly
- 6 green cardamon, crushed
- 6 black cardamon
- 1 dessertspoon dried chili flakes
- Mix the first 7 ingredients together and leave in a covered bowl overnight.
- Next day add remaining ingredients and mix well, then place in a non corrosive roasting dish and place in an oven, preheated to 180ºC (Med)
- It will take between 2-3 hours to cook, at which point you will need to have stirred it from time to time.
- It is cooked when the liquid has mostly evaporated and the onions and fruit have begun to caramelise slightly.
- Taste for seasoning, then spoon into very hot sterilised jars and seal.