This recipe was created by Neil Perry for Foodsource – New Zealand, a LifeStyle Channel production here in Australia. You can view the video segment on their site – and I was completely beside myself to see that it was shot at Te Kairanga Winery in Martinborough and that their Pinot Noir (my favourite favourite wine of all time) was matched with this marvellous sounding salad.
Neil Perry is the multi-award winning chef from Sydney’s famed Rockpool restaurant (in The Rocks). I’ve never had the pleasure of dining at Rockpool (although I’ve wandered in there for photo shoots and to pick up recipes when I once worked on a tourism and food magazine). Neil always has the most intriguing flavour pairings and just the thought of venison and feijoa makes me want to fly home immediately.
VENISON SAUSAGE & FEIJOA SALAD
- 2 venison sausages
- 2 feijoas roughly sliced
- ½ spanish onion roughly sliced
- 1 long green shallot roughly sliced lengthways
- ½ bunch mint
- 2 long green chillis roughly chopped
- 2 limes juiced
- extra virgin olive oil
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Grill the sausages on a hot BBQ and slice.
- Mix together with all remaining ingredients and toss gently.