I have been dreaming lately of staying at Annandale Manor, an elegant bed and breakfast tucked away – wait for it – on a feijoa plantation in New Zealand!! The romantic 1917 colonial manor is set amidst meandering gardens and four and a half acres of feijoa trees. Their website has a few delicious recipes too, and I am craving the coconut and feijoa cake because I just happen to love coconut as well.
COCONUT AND FEIJOA CAKE
- 150 grams butter
- 1 1/2 cups caster sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 2 cups desiccated coconut
- 2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup peeled and chopped feijoas
- Beat the butter and sugar together until creamy. Beat in the egg yolks.
- Fold in the coconut and sifted dry ingredients with the milk and fruit.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff and fold into the cake mixture.
- Turn into a well-greased and lined 23 or 25cm cake tin.
- Bake at 180°C for 1 hour or until cooked. Cool for 10 minutes before turning out.