Tastes of the sea, roasted vine-ripened tomatoes and the tangy-fruity blend of chilli and feijoa and mango… another magical blend of flavours from Amanda Laird of the New Zealand Herald… I really can’t wait to see what she is doing with feijoa this season.
FEIJOA SALSA WITH PRAWNS & ROASTED TOMATOES
- 1 large feijoa, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 mint leaves, washed and finely slivered
- 1 teaspoon finely diced red chilli
- 2 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, plus 1 tbsp to fry prawns
- 1 peeled mango, stone removed, finely diced
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 24 large tiger prawns, peeled
- 16 tomatoes on the vine
- Combine the first eight ingredients in a bowl and leave to rest for two hours.
- Turn oven to 200°C, roast whole tomatoes for 20 minutes.
- Heat oil and fry prawns quickly, tossing, for no longer than 3 minutes. Serve with the salsa and tomatoes.