According to the New Zealand Listener, these muffins “are quite tart, with all the fragrance of feijoas and a refreshing tang from the lime juice and zest”. I love that the lime zest is in the muffin mixture as well as in the sugary topping – double the tang!
FEIJOA & LIME MUFFINS
Makes about 10
- 3 juicy limes
- 60g butter, melted
- 2 large eggs
- 200g plain flour
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- 100g sugar
- 1 cup peeled and diced feijoas (about 6-8)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place paper cup liners in a muffin pan.
- Using a zester, take strips of zest from one of the limes and reserve for the top of the muffins. Finely grate the zest of the other 2 and squeeze the juice from all 3. Tip this into a large bowl with the melted butter and eggs. Whisk together until light and fluffy.
- Sieve the flour with the baking powder and fold gently into the mixture with the sugar.
- Finally, fold in the feijoas and fill the muffin cups three-quarters full.
- Sprinkle the tops with a little extra sugar and the reserved zest.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and firm to the touch.