Lyn Potter (3 News website in New Zealand) wrote a story on feijoas in May this year and included two delicious recipes. As simple as this sounds, I find it’s the simple recipes that allow the full flavour of the feijoas to shine through.
BAKED APPLES AND FEIJOAS WITH VANILLA ICE CREAM
- 4 apples
- 4 large or 6 small feijoas
- ¼ cup of light demerara sugar
- the juice of 1 lemon
- a vanilla pod (or 1 teaspoon vanilla essence)
- 50g butter
- 2 tablespoons chopped crystallized ginger
- Peel and thinly slice the apples. Halve the feijoas and scoop out the flesh with a teaspoon.
- Mix all the ingredients except the ginger together.
- Bake for 30 minutes (basting from time to time with the juices) until the fruit is soft and golden.
- Put a scoopful of ice cream on each dessert plate. Lift some of the fruit out with a slotted spoon and arrange alongside. Dribble some of the hot juices over the ice cream. Sprinkle some finely chopped crystallized ginger over. Serve at once.